The Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company, Baltimore County Swiftwater/Flood Search and Rescue (SAR) Team conducts search, rescue, and recovery operations for humans and animals in Swiftwater and flood environments. These environments are often the result of heavy downpours of rain such as with a significant weather event like Hurricanes and Tropical Storms.
- The Kingsville Volunteer Fire Company Swiftwater/Flood SAR team:
- Searches for and rescues individuals who may be injured or otherwise in need of medical attention.
- Provides emergency medical care including Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ALS).
- Provides animal rescue assistance.
- Transports humans and animals to the nearest location for secondary land or air transport.
- Provides shore-based and boat-based water rescue for humans and animals.
- Provides Ice Rescue capabilities.
- Supports helicopter rescue operations for the MD Helicopter Aquatic Rescue Team and urban SAR in water environments for humans and animals.
- Operates in environments with compromised access to roadways, utilities, transportation, and medical facilities and with limited access to shelter, food, and water.
- Provides technical assistance.
- Assists with evacuation of flood survivors.
- Assists with incident management activities.
- Provides safety support for water related events such as providing boat crews and rescue swimmers.
Also known as SRT 48 or Swiftwater Rescue Team 48, the Kingsville VFC Swiftwater and Flood Rescue Team is one of two volunteer Swiftwater teams in Baltimore County. SRT 48 assists neighboring jurisdictions when requested through mutual aid as well. Since its creation, in 1993, the team has received many awards and accommodations including but not limited to the Maryland Star of Life Award from an incident in Harford County on 23 August 2020. The team is fully comprised of volunteers and always welcomes new members. Team members come from all walks of life outside of the fire department including many highly praised and sought-after Water Rescue Instructors.
Team member positions include:
Swiftwater/Flood Search and Rescue Technician
Swiftwater/Flood Search and Rescue Technician - Boat Bowman
Swiftwater/Flood Search and Rescue Technician - Boat Operator
Swiftwater/Flood Search and Rescue Medical Specialist (ALS)
Swiftwater/Flood Search and Rescue Team Leader
Swiftwater Strike Team Leader
*Some members are also endorsed as Helicopter Search and Rescue Technicians, Large Animal Rescue Technicians, and Inland Rescue Swimmers.
**All members are fully certified by the Maryland Fire Service Personnel Qualifications Board and conduct refresher training to demonstrate proficiency in meeting Job Performance Requirements (JPR’s).